- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
Spring is an ideal time to make sure everything is in working order. From checking your home's vital equipment such as water heaters and furnaces to replacing windows, there are some items that should top your spring checklist.
1. Check attics and your home's exterior for openings and cracks. The spring is when nature comes out of hibernation, and even the tiniest of holes can serve as an entry point for unwanted animals.
2. Have your home's equipment serviced. From water heaters to furnaces, spring is an ideal time for a check-up.
3. Have your septic tank pumped. In many parts of the country, homes are serviced by individual septic tanks that tend to need to be pumped annually. The spring is a good time, as the ground has softened from the winter thaw.
4. Check your driveway. The winter snow and salt can often damage driveways and pathways. The spring may be a good time to have driveways, pathways and walkways resurfaced.
5. Check your water. With so many homeowners opting for their own water purification and filtration systems, checking the safety of your home's water is a good item to include on your checklist.
6. Evaluate your home's lawn. From downed tree limbs to areas that may have been damaged by winter, spring is a great time to tend to your lawn so it is nice and lush for summer.
7. Start preparing your garden. For many homeowners, the joy of gardening begins in the spring, by preparing garden areas for early planting.
8. Repaint. Repainting is an instant refresher for many homes. Freshening your home with a new coat of paint either on the inside or the outside may provide you with the perfect renewal.
9. Trim trees. If you live in an especially wooded area, this may be a good time to trim trees back so they don't become a hazard during a storm or provide easy access to your roof for animals.
10. Replace windows. Doors and windows that may be old or improperly installed create a draft all year round. Especially in the warmer months when you will be looking to be able to properly open and close windows, making sure they are fully functioning and operational should be on your spring checklist.