As our community is well aware, our school district is in the middle of a struggle to maintain local control and to keep a level of education the community expects for our future generations. The struggle is hard enough when factual information is disseminated for our residents to review and draw conclusions from; it becomes a much larger struggle, and very disappointing, when misinformation is put forth as truth.
I write today in response to the "Sound Off" comment on Nov. 16 Here are the facts:
1.The mileage amount requested in February 2013 is higher (5.9) than it was this past month (5.0) because we will lose a year of tax collections. Therefore, a higher mileage amount is needed to carry the district through a similar period of time.
2. The cost of the primary election will be paid by the district. We only have a few more election attempts to get community support before our district is in a position of fiscal emergency and state control. We must take advantage of each opportunity, the stakes are too high not to.
3. The Waterloo Local School District is a handful of teachers away from being at the minimum number required by our state. In fact, based upon the most recent analysis by the state we will not be able to cut enough faculty/staff to eliminate our deficit while remaining in compliance with minimum standards set in the Ohio Revised Code the next time we have to cut.
4. We are fortunate to have a very active athletic boosters club. The athletic boosters purchase uniforms for our teams; they do not contribute to the overall operating costs of our athletic programs.
5. The money generated from pay-to-participate offsets the expense of our extracurricular programs from our general operating fund. Even after all expenses and revenue is accounted for (including pay-to-participate fees) the district is still subsidizing a substantial portion of the cost of our extracurricular programs.
6. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have or direct you to the appropriate person who can assist you. If trust is the issue, make a public record request of the information you have questions on, review it and draw your own conclusions. The facts speak for themselves.
You can also find a plethora of information on our district website at www.viking.portage.k12.oh.us. Feel free to contact me at 330-947-2664 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Andrew J. Hill, Superintendent, Waterloo Local School District